top of page

General FAQ

Q: What is the status of phlebotomy certification in California?

A: Effective April 9, 2003, all persons performing phlebotomy who are not California licensed physicians, nurses or clinical lab scientists or the licensed professionals

where phlebotomy is not in their scope of practice, must be certified as a phlebotomist before they can draw blood.

Q: Is your Phlebotomy Program approved?

A: Yes. Our Phlebotomy program is approved by the California Laboratory Field Services/DHS

Q: What are the Admissions requirements?

A: Please click here for more information.

Q: What if I am not a high school graduate or attended school outside the US?

A: You will have to complete a GED or have your foreign degree either evaluated by AACRAO or obtain an official translation of the foreign transcript. You may contact AACRAO at

Q: Is Financial Aid available for the program?

A: No. Federal Financial aid is not available for the phlebotomy course. If you need financial assistance, you are encouraged to contact your local credit union or bank for private loan services. You may also contact your County Gain office for assistance.

Q: Do you offer payment plans?

A: Yes. AUMT offers installment plans to assist you in paying for this course. You may contact the campus near you for more information.

Q: Can I choose where I do my clinical rotation?

A: No. AUMT Externship Coordinators will select your clinical site. However, we will do our best to accommodate your requests.

Q: How long will it take to receive my license in the mail?

A: Once a complete application is received by Laboratory Field Services, the processing takes about 90 days.

Q: How do I renew my California License after two years?

A: Renewal documents will be sent to you approximately 60 days prior to the expiration of your license. You will need to complete 6 hours of continuing education over the course of two years to renew your license and   pay a fee.

Contact for any website issues

bottom of page